A COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY
Sustainable development requires, as defined by the UN, “an integrated approach that takes into account environmental concerns along with economic development”. The term integral must not only refer to the unitary set of measures that achieve this objective of environmental balance, but also to the set of actors involved in it: society, Administration and private sector (industry).
At M&M Group we are not oblivious to this reality that has become a social and industrial necessity and that marks the present with a view to new generations. Therefore, we develop our business activity with the firm commitment to do so with sustainability as a central axis both from the perspective of our management and manufacturing processes and, on the other hand, from the objectives of the research projects that we carry out.
The development of KPIs or sustainability indicators serves to evaluate the main areas of impact of the company, since our goal is to become a 100% sustainable company.
At M&M Group we are concerned about environmental sustainability by curbing those negative environmental impacts resulting from our business activity.
These key indicators are valuable tools for our company to achieve our objectives, where we are committed to measure and minimize the impact on the planet.
In order to give a better focus to these sustainability KPIs, the company has been in charge of the study of a sustainable strategy, which will evolve and become more efficient over time.
Therefore, every month we launch our monitoring, focusing on energy, materials and CO2 emissions.
Key indicators for the month
Data updated as of July 2023.
* Compared to the same month of the previous year.
The value of digitization
We are aware of the waste of paper and we currently have the projection of Paperless, digitizing most of our operations or processes, avoiding the use of high amounts of paper, in addition to creating greater satisfaction among our employees, reducing errors and having more control over them. This will generate a better strategy based on data that also serves for decision making and the establishment of a growth plan.
Less pollution, emissions and waste
The objective of recycling our generated waste is to reduce the amount of natural resources consumed, as well as to try to generate as little waste as possible. It is our responsibility as a company to maintain sustainability for the benefit of our environment as well as for future generations.
All our chemical waste is managed by companies specialized in the collection of these substances. All material that can be recycled, such as scrap generation, is also collected and treated by certified companies, which are responsible for giving it a new life within the circular economy system.
We are aware that the emission of CO2 and other pollutants resulting from our production processes contribute to climate change.
For this reason, at M&M Group we have launched initiatives such as the implementation of a clean energy generation system using photovoltaic panels.
Clean energy generation
M&M Group has implemented a power generation system using photovoltaic panels at the M&M Group headquarters in Carissa Aurelia, in Espera (Cádiz), where the company has 2,250 m2 of facilities specializing in profiles and drawing parts, including their heat treatments.
This initiative, which is part of the business group’s sustainability and circular economy strategy, supplies the factory with 100 kW of power, thus minimizing energy operating costs and contributing to environmental conservation.
The goal is to implement these systems at all our sites in the near future.
Research and development
Sustainability is not only framed in our production processes, but it is also the main axis that guides our Technology and R&D projects.
Below, we summarize the basic objectives of three of these projects that we are currently developing:
ACTIVAL, technology for more sustainable aviation
- Development of environmentally sustainable treatments by eliminating the use of toxic chemical compounds, such as hexavalent chromium.
- Reduction of direct emissions of volatile organic compounds by eliminating their use.
- Improved corrosion resistance properties through the use of non-polluting inhibitors.
- Reduction of production times, which leads to an increase in line capacity, improving production efficiency.
- Reduction of waste and scrap generation.
- Reduction of energy consumption.
DEEPEST, efficient sheet metal drawing simulation
- Reduction of waste generation.
- Improved process efficiency, thus minimizing the failure rate in forming operations, thanks to the simulation of the process for virtual tryout.
- Reduction of defect rates and reprocessing operations.
- Improved heat treatments = electricity savings.
GreenBath, “greener” surface treatments
- Improved process efficiency.
- Reduction of electricity and natural gas consumption.
- Decreased consumption of chemical products.
AUTOTREAT, development of an intelligent power supply
- It reduces the delivery time and scraps by 20 % amending any deviation due to material, geometry changes and contact issues.
- This improvement results in reductions of energy consumption by 87%, reduction of water consumption by 26%, reduction of CO2 emission by 64%, waste generation by 81% and atmospheric emission of Cr (VI) by 29%.
- The project is respectful to the environment and workers health and safety as it avoids the use of products presents on the REACH annex XIV SVHC (Substances of very high concern).
Where are we heading?
The clear destination towards which M&M Group is heading is to become an intelligent and sustainable factory, where we embrace the terms of efficiency, quality and sustainability, both in the production of each of our products and in our processes. With this, we focus on the following points: we walk?
Reduced carbon footprint.
Reduced use of natural resources and energy.
Improved operational efficiency by reducing costs and waste.
Technological development optimizing efficiency, resilience and sustainability throughout the manufacturing life cycle.
What do we do?
We align ourselves with the following SDGs
M&M Group receives certification for the first ‘Training Program: Sustainable Suppliers’ developed by UN Global Compact
M&M Group has recently obtained the certificate for successfully completing the first edition of the “Training Program: Sustainable Suppliers”, developed by the UN Global Compact
M&M Group has announced the renovation of the lighting in the production workshops. With a clear focus on sustainability and energy efficiency, M&M has implemented
This June 5 we celebrate World Environment Day, a date with increasing weight and significance in society and, of course, in industry. Today we would